1.27.2013

Life Jackets Float (but don’t keep you warm)


I met a man on the train and we talked about flooded tunnels.  What he would do in the event – what I would do in the event.  This man imagined his pickled liver as an emergency floatation device. He told me that his drinking drove off his beautiful wife and innocent children (a boy and a girl).  He called his daughter “the whispering angel.” He believed that his liver had prepared him to survive the worst of life because it allowed him to visit the worst of himself upon other lives. I considered what he said – it had a strange logic to it.  While I was corralling my thoughts to counter his point with my own - I realized this dude reeked; and I was the only other person in the subway car.  Every other rider had switched in between stops- and no one else had been getting on.  He kept talking and I eventually got home, but not before I changed cars.  I didn’t even excuse myself – I just walked away from the guy when we pulled into a station. Maybe I helped to make that liver more buoyant? When I got home I woke my wife and told her what this guy said.  And she told me to sleep on the couch.  “Why baby,” I asked.  “Because dear…you fucking smell.”

No comments:

Post a Comment